September 19 – December 12, 2014
Hammer Health Sciences Building, Lower Level 2
Using vintage photographs and original documents from the Library’s Archives & Special Collections, the exhibit chronicles the development of the Medical Center from the first groundbreaking in 1925 through the expansion of the 1980's.
While not all the present buildings at the Medical Center could be included, the exhibit features some of its more notable structures: the original Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center (1928-29), which included homes for Presbyterian Hospital, the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Babies Hospital, the Neurological Institute, New York State Psychiatric Institute, and the School of Nursing; Bard Hall (1931), the first medical school residence hall; the Hammer Health Sciences Building (1976), housing the Health Sciences Library, classrooms and laboratories; and the Milstein Hospital Building (1988), the Medical Center’s primary patient care facility.
The exhibit is located on Lower Level 2 of the Hammer Building in the Teaching and Learning Center. It is open to everyone holding valid Columbia University or New York-Presbyterian Hospital identification. Those without authorized access who wish to see the exhibition should contact the email address below to make arrangements to view it.
The exhibit was curated by Stephen E. Novak, Head, Archives & Special Collections, at the Health Sciences Library. For further information contact firstname.lastname@example.org