Harvey, the cardiopulmonary patient simulator, was developed by the Center for Research in Medical Education at the University of Miami and offers realistic simulation of the physical signs of cardiac disease: blood pressure, venous pulses, arterial pulses, precordial movements, ausculation, pulmonary ausculation and respiration (abdominal breathing movement). 26 cardiac disease states are programmed into Harvey.
- Get oriented: Completing an initial orientation tutorial is required before booking time to use Harvey. Go to the Harvey Tutorial.
- Reserve online: The Harvey room can be reserved in 2 hour increments using the calendar below. Each time slot can accommodate up to 8 individuals and individuals should register separately. You will receive an email confirmation message.
- Access the room: The keys to the Harvey room (LL2-222) and the headsets for group listening can be picked up from the font desk, located in the Lobby Level of the Health Sciences Library. Please bring a printout of, or be able to show on your mobile device, your email confirmation message. If you are more than 15 minutes late to your reservation please sign up for a new slot.
- Practice: If you have questions on how to interpret Harvey's simulation of the different disease states refer to the Harvey Learner Manual. The manual can be downloaded here. A printed copy of the manual is also available for use in the Harvey room.
- Wrap up: Make sure the room and Harvey are ready for the next reservation by recovering him with the protective cover, turning off the headsets and turning off the room lights. Return the keys and headsets to the font desk and report any issues or dead headset batteries to staff.
Click on your desired time slot to register.
A self-assessment PowerPoint program has been developed for each of the 26 disease states that Harvey simulates. These slide presentations cover each case and provide: the history, physical findings, electrocardiograms, X rays, echocardiograms, and hemodynamic, therapeutic, pathologic and epidemiologic information. The slides can be viewed from the computer available in the Harvey room or downloaded here..
The Harvey Learner Manual includes the entire curriculum with a summary (includes descriptive material and graphic representation) of all of the bedside findings for each of the cardiac conditions programmed in Harvey. A print copy of the manual is available for consultation in the Harvey room.