A Medical Center for New York: The Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center, 1928-2018: An Exhibit

The Knowledge Center, A. C. Long Health Sciences Library

Hammer Health Sciences Building, Lobby Level

February – April, 2018

Ninety years ago this March, what was then called the Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center opened to the public.  One of the world’s first health care centers to combine complete facilities for patient care, medical education and research in a single complex, Columbia-Presbyterian was the result of years of sometimes stormy collaboration between Columbia University and Presbyterian Hospital, dating back to the original affiliation agreement of 1911. 

A small exhibit in the Health Sciences Library’s Knowledge Center commemorates this anniversary with a display of original construction photographs and contemporary fundraising brochures. 

The Knowledge Center is accessible 24/7 to anyone with a valid CUMC or NYPH ID.