Below are tutorial links for selected resources used on the health sciences campus. Many of these are based on frequently asked questions at the Health Sciences Library. Tutorials may be utilized and accessed as needed on a 24/7 basis to meet any schedule. The purpose of this list is to enable users who seek answers to ‘how-to questions’ and /or want to learn independently, to do so at their own pace, at their own time.
Navigate the Knowledge Center
The Knowledge Center is a vibrant, turbo charged 24/7 information hub.
Health Sciences Databases
- Access Medicine (online textbooks)
- Cochrane Library is a database which features systematic reviews in many subject areas. From the link below select the tutorials ‘Cochrane Library—an introduction; Cochrane Library—Search & MeSH’.
- Ebsco CINAHL is the Cumulative index to nursing and allied health literature. Click the link below for tutorials on CINAHL.
- Embase (Excerpta Medica dataBASE) is a biomedical and pharmacological database.
- OMIM (genetics)
- OVID Medline (plus other databases on this platform)
- PubMed (see Quick Tours for brief tutorials of this database)
- Web of Science Online Tutorials (includes Journal Citation Reports>impact factors)
Columbia Libraries Catalog
- CLIO Tutorials
NIHMS (National Institutes of Health Manuscript Submission)
- NIHMS Manuscript submission tutorials
- NIH Manuscript submission checklist
- NIHMS FAQs
- My NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information includes video on SciENcv: Science Experts Network Curriculum Vitae)
- Connecting My NCBI to ERA account
Systematic Review (SR)
- A series of videos from Yale University (Harvey Cushing/John Hay Whitney Medical Library) on topics such as introduction to SR; Preparing for a SR; Building a search strategy; validating, verifying and revising your searches, etc.
- Research Cochrane Canada Webinars
- Finding Systematic Reviews - 3 resources (Andrew Booth, ScHARR, University of Sheffield, U.K.)
- An Introduction to Covidence
- An Introduction to Reading Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses (Tara Bishop, Weill Cornell Medical College)
- Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses - How to go through Validity Criteria (Tara Bishop, Weill Cornell Medical College)
- Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses - How to Interpret the Results (Tara Bishop, Weill Cornell Medical College)
- RevMan Tutorial Series (University of Nottingham – 43 videos; Note: RevMan also has a tutorial within the Help Guide within the program. RevMan is free to download).
Tools for Collaborations and Recommendations
- Faculty of 1000
InCites is a customized, citation-based research evaluation tool that lets academic and government administrators benchmark an organization's output against peers worldwide. Conduct in-depth analyses of your institution's role in research, or produce reports showcasing particular aspects of research performance. Tutorials on this platform are available at the link: http://about.incites.thomsonreuters.com
To access InCites go to: http://www.columbia.edu/cgi-bin/cul/resolve?clio12051450 follow prompts to login.
- Excel (multiple tutorials)
- SPSS Essential training
- SAS (multiple tutorials)
http://www.qsrinternational.com/support.aspx (Common Questions from Mac & Windows users)
Bibliographic Citation Management
- Citation management tools: Endnote, Mendeley, Papers, F1000, Zotero
- Power point essential training
Mega Tutorials Database
- Lynda.com (a gateway to a variety of tutorials)